Best Portable Bed of 2018 & Buying Guide
If you are traveling around a lot and trying to bring a full-size mattress around everywhere, you are likely going to run into some issues.
Bringing a giant mattress around is not very space sufficient and if you were to buy something like a portable bed instead, you will be able to pack in a whole lot more things into that same amount of space in your vehicle.
So that you will be able to pick out the best portable bed that your money can buy, we created a buyer’s guide for portable beds as well as a list of our picks for the best portable beds on the market to show you what is out there and of a high quality.
Intex Pillow Rest Raised Airbed
Zinus Sleep Master
Milliard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress
What material should I get, to get the best portable bed?
If you are looking to get the most comfortable portable bed on the market, you are going to want to try to look for something that feels like a traditional bed. In order to find something that is as comfortable as a traditional bed, you may want to have a look at an air mattress design.
This is one of the most common types of portable beds and there are plenty of options on the market. The nice thing about these beds is that they are extremely compact when not blown up allowing you to be able to easily store the unit wherever you please.
The other type of bed that you may want to look for is some kind of a roll up or fold up foam bed design. These are also popular in the marketplace and although they may not be as compact as an air mattress, you will find that these beds offer almost the same amount of comfort as a traditional mattress.
What is the best way to tell that a portable bed is a comfortable design?
The best way to tell if a bed is comfortable when it is of an air design is to look and see how thick the unit is. If you are a heavier person, you are going to need a thicker mattress/ air bed in order to support your body.
The best portable bed is going to be one that is thick enough to support the entire length of your body. The best foam designs on the market also are more comfortable when they are nice and thick and supportive.
If you want to make sure that you get something that is comfortable and made out of foam, you should keep your eyes out for memory foam and high-density supportive foam in a unit as this is going to be the most comfortable to sleep on and it will feel the most like a traditional bed.
What kind of a budget should I have to be able to pick up the best portable bed?
The good thing about portable beds is that they are not usually as thick as a traditional mattress and therefore there is not as much material or cost in the bed for the manufacturer.
You will find that portable beds are cheaper than traditional beds unless you find something that is an extremely high-end design. If you can afford to pick up a traditional mattress with your budget, you should have no problem being able to find a nice portable bed to suit your needs.
What size of a portable bed is the best?
Depending on what you are going to be using the portable bed for, you may find that some units are better than others for your needs. If you are doing something like going camping, you may only have a certain amount of room in your tent to be able to store a portable mattress inside, which is something you may want to think about.
You should always determine how many people need to be able to sleep on the unit before you purchase one and you may also want to think about the space that you have available to store the mattress.
What else should I be on the lookout for in the best portable bed?
If you want to get the best portable bed then there are other features on these types of beds that you should know about. If you choose to pick up an air mattress, you are going to want to look to see what the pump is like on the unit that you are purchasing.
There are both hand pumps as well as electric pumps and the time it takes as well as the effort needed to be able to blow up a unit does vary by the product.
If, however, you are looking to pick up a foam design, you are going to want to decide if you want the unit to be on some kind of a stand.
There are lots of foam units on rollers and metal stands available for sale and there are also lots of portable beds where you simply sleep on the floor.
Only you know what the best thing is for your household so just make sure that you look the portable beds’ over carefully so that you know exactly what you are getting into.
1. Zinus Sleep Master
If you want to pick up a foam design and are interested in having a bed that sits on top of a stand, you should check out this portable bed. This unit is made out of a foam design and uses a steel folding frame to keep this bed well off of the ground. The unit is available for a pretty reasonable price tag as far as portable units go, which is partially why this is a popular unit in the marketplace.
- The unit uses half an inch of fiber padding as well as 2.5 inches of comfort foam in its design
- The unit has a steel folding bed frame that keeps the unit 14 inches off of the ground
- The unit is made out of high-quality foam, which will help to keep you comfortable throughout the duration of the night
- The bed has dimensions of 31 x 75 x 17 inches allowing most people to be able to fit on top of this unit
- The bed is capable of folding in half, which makes this bed pretty portable and easy to store where you need
- The bed doesn’t have a super thick foam design, which means it may be a tad bit on the firm side of things
If you are okay with sleeping on a bit of a firm bed for a night, you are going to like what this bed has to offer. This may not be the most comfortable design in the world, but it is a design that is built to be durable. The steel frame design of this unit allows you to be able to fold this unit up with ease and take it wherever you need.
If you want to save some money on a portable bed, you should definitely make sure that you have a good look at this design as it looks quite like a normal bed and will all0w you to be able to get a quality sleep with ease.
2. Intex Pillow Rest Raised Airbed
If you have a lower budget for a bed, you may be interested in picking up an air mattress design. This portable bed is available in both a queen as well as a twin size. The unit has a low price tag, which makes this product extremely popular in the marketplace, especially when combined with the electric pump that is built into the design of this product.
- Electric pump design in this mattress fills the bed up quickly and efficiently
- This unit has a waterproof top on it, which is ideal if you want to have beverages in bed
- The unit has built in pillows, which is great for saving storage space if you are on the go
- The unit is capable of inflation in as little as three minutes, which is spectacular for the price of the unit
- The dimensions for the units are given so that you can be sure that they will fit where you need
- The beds’ weight capacity is given for the units so that you can stay within the boundaries and not have to worry about your air bed popping
- The bed is raised 16.5 inches off of the floor, which is ideal for making sure your whole body is supported
- Indented sides on the mattress allow you to fit sheets on the bed with ease
- The unit does not come with a storage container for the bed
So long as you have somewhere to store this air mattress, you are going to be quite pleased with this design. The bed is capable of folding up into a very small size for storage purposes and inflating quickly when needed.
This bed offers some top notch quality support for your body and it actually inflates and compresss at the push of a button. This is definitely a great portable bed and you should make sure that you consider it if you want to save some money.
3. Milliard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress
If you want to pick up a foam design and you don’t care about being up and off of the ground, you should consider picking up one of these beds. The unit is capable of folding up into a very small size and folds out into a twin XL bed when ready to use. This is a bed that is made out of high-density foam, which makes the unit quite supportive throughout.
- The moderate budget required to pick up one of these units does make this bed more appealing
- The bed is light weight and very easy to move around
- The unit’s dimensions are given in case you want to be able to store the bed in a certain place or use it in a certain place when unfolded
- The bed comes with a removable cover, which is soft in texture allowing you to be able to get a good night’s rest
- The bed comes in an eye appealing blue design
- The unit has dimensions of 78 x 38 x 4 when unfolded and has dimensions of 38 x 29 x 14 inches when it is folded up
- If you have a really low budget for a bed, you may find this unit is a tad out of reach
- If you don’t want to sleep on the ground, you may not like this unit
If you are looking for a lightweight portable bed that you can just grab and throw down wherever you want, you are going to love this unit. The unit may not be on a frame, but this just makes the design even more portable.
This is a portable bed that is comfortable to sleep on thanks to a high-density foam design and so long as a twin XL size suits your needs, you are likely going to enjoy having this product.
You will have no problems picking up this bed and taking it with you wherever you need to go as it is much smaller when folded up making it extremely easy to store. Definitely, a bed you should think about grabbing.
We hope that this has been an informative article for you to read and that you think you will be able to pick up a portable bed that is of a nice quality, now that you know what to look for.
Always make sure that you take a look at a few models before you purchase and it never hurts to carefully look over the accessories that come with a product as they can really sweeten up a good deal at times.
Best of luck with picking up a portable bed and hope that you get something that is both comfortable to sleep on and that lasts you for a long time before popping.