Best Hamster Bedding of 2018 & Buying Guide
If you have a pet hamster, one of the main parts of maintaining and taking care of your hamster is changing out the bedding on a regular basis. If you want to be able to get the best bedding on the market, which makes it easier to take care of your hamster by allowing you to be able to perform as little maintenance as possible, you are going to want to know what to look for. In order to help teach you some things, we have created a buyer’s guide as well as a list of our choices for the best hamster bedding on the market.
Kaytee Clean and Cozy
Carefresh Shavings Plus Pet Bedding
Carefresh Pet Bedding
What kind of a budget do I need to be able to buy the best hamster bedding?
If you want to be able to buy the best hamster bedding that money can buy, you are going to have to have a bit of a higher budget.
Although you can get okay bedding in bulk for low prices, the problem is that you are going to have to be switching the bedding out every couple of days.
You may end up spending less money at the checkout and if you don’t value your time, this may be the way to go.
However, it is important to be aware that buying cheap bedding is going to take more of your time up as it is going to be higher maintenance than that of more expensive bedding.
Hamster bedding liquid absorption:
If you want to get the best quality bedding on the market, you should make sure to look to see how absorbent the bedding is.
The more absorbent the bedding the less maintenance you are going to have to do on the bedding in order to keep things in good condition.
On top of maintenance, you are also going to be using fewer shavings as a result of more absorption, which means that you are going to go through a container of shavings at a much slower rate and therefore you are going to save some money over time.
Hamster bedding odor control and why you want it:
One thing you are going to notice about taking care of hamsters is that their cages start to smell after a while if you don’t do proper maintenance.
The thing about bedding is that it helps to absorb excrements left by your hamster and it allows you to have to do less maintenance on your cage as a result of the smells being absorbed and not traveling throughout your house.
The better the quality of bedding the more odor it will absorb, which is what you are going to want to look for. Beddings are usually rated to be able to absorb odors for certain lengths of time and before you make a purchase, you should make sure that you take a look at this length of time to see if it is reasonable for you maintenance wise before purchasing.
Bedding size options:
If you have more than one hamster or if you want to make sure that you have enough bedding to last you for a long period of time, you are going to want to take a look at the amount of bedding that you are actually getting for a particular price.
More importantly, you are going to want to compare to see which bedding is giving you the best quality and the most quantity for the best price tag so that you get the best deal that is available.
Just because something is larger doesn’t mean that it is a better product and you may end up having to replace the bedding more often as a result of the lack of the quality of the product.
What is bedding dust and is it important?
One thing that you are going to notice about some poor quality beddings is that they leave a lot of dust in the air when they have been stirred around. For some people, this may not be a big deal as dust may not bother you.
However, if you are a person who has dust allergies or someone who just wants to be hygienic, you are going to want to make sure that you see how dusty the bedding is.
Generally, if the packaging says that it is dust free then that is a good sign. If you don’t see this anywhere on the product it is likely that the product will leave dust behind so this is something that you should definitely pay attention to.
What materials are in the best hamster bedding?
Depending on your personal preferences on the comfort of your hamster, you can get different kinds of bedding. Some bedding is definitely harder than others and will not be as comfortable for your hamster to be running around on.
Although you may not care about your hamster’s comfort, many people do take this into consideration when they are looking at the shavings they are purchasing.
Generally, you are going to find that soft wood based and paper based bedding is the softest kind of bedding and the most commonly available.
Does the size of my cage matter?
It is definitely important to make sure that you factor in the size of your cage or cages into your decision making.
If you have a ton of hamsters and a ton of different cages, you may not be able to afford the high-end bedding that is available on the market.
If you want to make sure that your hamsters are properly bedded you should check to see what size of cage you own and then look at the recommended amount of bedding that is to be used in the cage.
It never hurts to put extra bedding in so you shouldn’t be too worried about that, but it is important to make sure that you cover your cage thoroughly in order to have the best protection for your cage, more comfort for your hamster and better odor protection for your household.
1. Carefresh Shavings Plus Pet Bedding
If you are looking to buy a lot of shavings with one purchase and you want to be able to get something for a low price tag, you should definitely check out these shavings. The product comes in four different size options and contains soft shedding’s that are made out of softwood. The shavings are designed to be pretty good at resisting odor and they even have some color in them, which makes them a little more eye appealing.
- The unit is 90 percent softwood shavings and 10 percent blue soft bedding
- The blue bedding in the shavings is something that hamsters like to make beds out of, which is a nice entertainment property that these shavings possess
- The unit has great odor control compared to regular shavings and actually helps suppress ammonia
- You can get these shavings in a 14L, 30L, and a 60L design, which is ideal if you need a large portion of shavings
- The low price of these shavings certainly makes them more appealing
- You can actually subscribe to purchase these shavings on a regular basis if you want to save some money on your purchase
- The shavings absorb up to 2.5 times as much as regular shavings
- Environmentally friendly, biodegradable and compostable design
- The unit is not dust proof, which is not ideal for people with allergies
- If you only need a few shavings, you may be disappointed to find out that these shavings only come in large size options
If you want to save some money by buying shavings in bulk, you may want to consider this as an option. These shavings are pretty good unless you have allergies. You will find that the shavings are not bad for absorbing odors and thanks to 2.5 times liquid absorption, you won’t be forced to change out the shavings inside your hamster’s cage all of the time.
2. Carefresh Pet Bedding
If you are looking to get an expensive bedding in order to provide your hamsters the most comfortable sleep possible, you may want to look at this option. This is a product that comes in a variety of size options to suit your needs and it even comes in different colors so that you can get something that suits your personal tastes. This bedding may not be cheap, but it is one of the highest quality bedding options on the market and is more than capable of keeping your hamster happy and healthy.
- The unit offers odor control that is expected to last up to 10 days before the shavings need to be changed out
- These shavings have three times liquid absorption, which is ideal if you have a quality cage and want to protect it
- The product is 99 percent dust free, which is ideal if you have dust allergies or if you just want to have less smell and dust in your household
- You have the option of picking up a 10L a 23L and a 50L at the checkout so that you can get a size that suits your needs
- The product is compostable, biodegradable and it is made out of sustainable materials
- If you don’t want to spend a lot of money on your hamster, then this may be a bit of a high price to pay for bedding
As long as you are looking to buy something that is a high quality and price is no issue for you, you are definitely going to like what this design has to offer. This is the ideal type of bedding for someone who doesn’t want to do a lot of maintenance. You won’t have to change out these shavings on a regular basis and you also won’t have to be as careful when you are swapping out old bedding thanks to the dust free design. This is truly a bedding that is designed to be easy to use and one that your hamster will love to lay and run around on.
3. Kaytee Clean and Cozy
If you are looking for something that is about in the middle of the pack as far as price goes, but that is of a high quality, you should take a look at what this product has to offer. The unit comes available in a variety of color and size options and is the ideal solution for both hamster bedding and other small animals that you need to bed.
- If you want more color options than a rainbow, this product has pretty much any color you could ever want
- The unit comes in a 4.1L an 8.2L as well as a larger 16.4L and a 28.3L design
- The unit is dust free, which is ideal for people who have allergies or who want a cleaner household
- The company offers an odor control guarantee with the product to give you some peace of mind
- The bedding is designed to be able to absorb up to 6 times its weight in liquid, which is extremely impressive
- The high price tag of these shavings will most definitely turn some people away from purchasing them
- The product does not come in massive bulk sizes so it may not be ideal for a business or someone who has a ton of animals and cages
As long as you feel as though you don’t need a massive amount of bulk, you are going to be extremely pleased with the results that you get with these shavings. These shavings are extremely low maintenance and you are not going to have to change the bedding out for your hamsters very often. This product has some of the best odor control in the market and it is actually so good that you may not be able to smell anything. This is definitely a great product if you can afford it.
This article has hopefully been informative for you and has shown you some of the things that you should look for when you are trying to pick out what kind of bedding you want to get for your hamster. Always remember to check your cage sizes before purchasing to make sure that you are getting sufficient quantities for your needs. Best of luck in your search for new bedding and hope you get something that your hamster enjoys and that is low maintenance for you.