Best Dog Bed for Chewers of 2018 & Buying Guide
If you have a dog that likes to chew things, you won’t just be able to buy any bed for your dog. Buying your dog a bed that is made purely out of fluff or foam is likely going to result in your bed being spread out around your home and it most certainly is not going to be in one piece.
If you want to avoid purchasing multiple beds as well as a huge clean up in your home, you may want to consider purchasing a dog bed that your dog can’t chew through.
So that you will be able to find a quality chew proof dog bed, we have rounded up our picks for the best dog bed’s for chewers on the market and we have also come up with a buyer’s guide that you can use in order to inform yourself about these types of beds and make a more educated purchasing decision.
Dogbed4less Premium Durable Orthopedic Bed
Kuranda Dog Bed
K9 Ballistics TUFF
What kind of a budget should I have to be able to purchase the best dog bed?
If you want to get a quality bed, you don’t have to fork out a tremendous amount of money for them. Pet beds are not as expensive as human beds and if they are, then they are top of the line models and likely something that you don’t really need.
A reasonable budget for a bed should sit well with you financially and you may want to look at a few of the products that we came up with, before deciding on what a reasonable budget is for yourself.
How do I know that the bed can’t actually be chewed by a dog?
In order to be sure that you are actually picking out a bed that your dog won’t chew a hole in, there are definitely some things that you should look for depending on how bad your dog is for chewing things. Certain beds are definitely going to be better than other ones for dogs that like to chew a lot and we will go over the important aspects:
- Exterior Cover– This is one of the most important things on a dog bed to be able to tell if the unit is chew proof. The harder material that the exterior cover is made of, the more effective it is going to be at staying in one piece.
- Accessibility– You need to consider how easy it is for your dog to be able to get a grip on the bed and be able to physically chew on something. Some beds have designs where the only accessible parts to chew on the unit are made of metal, this is a feature that you may want to be on the lookout for if you have a dog that likes to chew a lot.
How do I know what type of bed is the best quality for my dog?
You are going to find all sorts of different types of mattresses available on the market. Depending on just how comfortable you want your dog to be, you will want to look to see what kind of foam is used on the unit. Different designs will definitely last for a longer period of time and you will want to make sure that you pay close attention as there are generally very minute differences.
The first main difference that you will notice is shredded foam compared to just one solid piece of foam. Shredded foam is what you want to look for if you want the bed to last for a long time. Shredded foam beds are up to 5 times denser than that of one solid piece of foam and can weigh up to three times as much as a result.
This extra density results in much less sagging over time regardless of what the foam is made of. The other main difference you will find is a regular foam design compared to that of memory foam.
We all know memory foam is the most comfortable, but it is also provides more support for your dog when they lay on down and is definitely something to be on the lookout for.
How important is the thickness of a dog bed in order to avoid chewing?
If you want the best dog bed to avoid your dog chewing on it, you may want to try and find a bed that your dog can’t fully put its mouth around in order to actually be able to chew it. If you get a thick bed it is going to be much more of an effort for your dog to chew on the bed and could definitely be something to look for.
However, there are such things as elevated beds and these beds are extremely thin but can do a great job in protecting against your dog chewing on the unit.
How do I know what size of bed to choose in order to make sure I get the best one for my dog?
A bed that is too small for a dog is not going to allow it to be able to sleep properly. A small bed can actually cause things like joint and back pain as you don’t get a chance to be able to stretch out if you are sleeping on a small bed.
To avoid this, you need to make sure that you are buying a bed that is of a proper size. Make sure that you take a measuring tape and measure both the length as well as the height of your dog before going to pick out a bed for it.
It is important to make sure that you get a bed that is a little longer than that of your dog, as dogs are kind of like humans as they like to stretch out when they are sleeping.
It never hurts to buy a unit that is a little larger than what you need so if you are worried about buying too small of a size, you may want to consider buying the larger size so that you are safe.
1. Kuranda Dog Bed
If you have a moderate to a low budget for a dog bed and want to get one that offers an elevated design, you may be interested in what this unit has to offer. This dog bed is designed to be capable of being able to hold up to a lot of use and abuse. The unit is capable of being repeatedly cleaned and incorporates the use of anti-tear technology in its design, which allows your dog to do with it whatever it pleases.
- The dog bed is made from a high strength PVC frame, which allows the bed to be able to support up to 125 lbs
- The bed uses an elevated design, which is ideal for allowing your dog to be able to stay cool and comfortable
- The unit comes in four different color options so that you can get something that suits your tastes
- The product comes in five different size options so that you can be sure that you get an appropriate size for your dog
- The unit comes with a one-year warranty to give you some peace of mind with your purchase
- The product may not have one of the lowest price tags on the market
- The unit does not use foam in its design so it may not be seen as being as comfortable of a design
If you like the idea of an elevated design, you may definitely be interested in what this unit has to offer. This is a very high-quality bed that is more than capable of being comfortable for your dog.
This bed is definitely a quality chew proof design and if you want to be able to save some money on a unit, you may definitely want to take a careful look at this product and see what all it has to offer.
2. Dogbed4less Premium Durable Orthopedic Bed
This dog bed is about in the middle of the pack for a price, but it packs in a lot of nice features to make it worthwhile. The dog bed comes in six different size options so that you can make sure that you get something that is compatible with your dog. The unit also comes in six different color options that you can choose from at the checkout in order to make sure that you are getting a color that you like.
- This bed is overstuffed in order to be able to provide extreme comfort for your dog over the long term
- The bed has a mix of poly-fill and shredded foam in order to increase the lifespan of the bed
- The unit is waterproof, which is ideal if your dog has accidents every once and a while
- There is a total of six inches of foam in this bed and the foam within the design consists of shredded memory foam
- The weight limits for each size of bed if given so that you can be sure that your dog will fit within the weight boundaries of the bed
- The unit will not hold up to aggressive chewing from a dog
As long as you aren’t looking for a chew proof bed as a result of your dog chewing everything, this bed is somewhat chew-proof and it should be fine for you as long as you don’t have a really aggressive chewer at home.
This is a bed that is designed in order to allow your dog to stay comfortable over the long term and as long as you have the budget for it, this is definitely a bed that you should consider picking up for your dog.
3. K9 Ballistics TUFF
If a budget is no issue to you and you want to get one of the nicest dog beds on the market, you should make sure that you check out what this manufacturer has to offer. This is a very nice bed that comes in a total of five different size options and comes in 10 different color options that you can choose from at the checkout.
- This bed is designed to be able to resist light and moderate chewers and is 90 percent effective against chewing
- The unit is designed to be super durable and resistant to things like hair and dirt, which means that you don’t have to clean the unit as often
- The unit consist of 1.5 inches of memory foam as well as 3.5 inches of supportive foam, which is ideal in order to be able to provide your dog with a balance of support and comfort
- The unit is covered by a 90-day chew-proof warranty from the manufacturer, which is ideal for peace of mind
- The unit is quite eye appealing and can pretty much go anywhere in your house without looking like it is out of place
- The unit has one of the most expensive price tags for a dog bed that you will find on the market
- The bed is not 100 percent chew resistant
As long as your dog isn’t a dinosaur and eats everything in sight, you are likely not going to have any problems if you decide to buy this design. This is a quality bed that comes in all of the sizes and colors that you could possibly want.
If you want to make sure that your dog is going to be comfortable over the long term, you won’t go wrong buying this dog bed for it.
Hopefully, after reading this article you now feel as though you have a better understanding about what the best dog bed for chewers is like.
It is important to make sure that you understand what to look for before you make a purchasing decision so that you can make sure that the product that you buy is going to be of a good quality the first time around.
You wouldn’t want to buy an expensive bed for your dog only to find that the bed has been chewed through the very next day after it arrives at your home. Best of luck in your scavenging and hope you find yourself a quality dog bed.