Best Bed Rail of 2018 & Buying Guide
If you are a night time “roller” or someone you know likes to roll in their sleep, one of the best ways to protect them is to pick up a set of bed rails.
Unfortunately, there are a variety of different qualities of bed rails on the market and you really need to know what to look for if you want to be able to pick out the best possible bed rail.
To help you have the best chance of stopping that person you know from rolling out of bed, we have created a bed rail buyer’s guide as well as a list of our picks for the top bed rails available on the market.
Regalo Swing Down Bedrail
Essential Medical Supply Height Adjustable Hand Bed Rail
Regalo Hide Away Double Sided Bed Rail, White
How easy is the best bed rail to setup and take down?
If you are looking to get something that is as convenient as possible, you should make sure that you look for a bed rail that is easy to setup and take-down.
There are all sorts of different designs used in bed rails that result in units being easier or more difficult to move around. The easiest bed rails to set up and take down are usually the ones that don’t require the use of tools.
This is a key thing to look for when you are shopping around for a bed rail, but it is also important to keep in mind that a bed rail that is attached without the use of tools is likely to be a bit less secure than one that is.
What kind of materials are the best bed rails made out of?
There are bed rails made out of all sorts of different materials.
Generally, you are going to find that most bed rails have an outer portion that is made up of a solid metal or plastic design. The more metal and hard plastic that is used in a unit, the more sturdy it is going to be and the longer it will likely last.
If you just want a unit that is going to keep you from falling out of bed, you should be pretty safe getting something that is a plastic design, but if you are using the bed rail to help support your body weight to get in and out of bed, you may want to fork out a little more money and get something that uses metal so that it is nice and sturdy and you don’t have to worry about the unit not being able to support your weight.
How do you get in and out of the bed with the best bed rails?
Depending on your age, you may be interested in getting a bed rail for a different purpose other than just keeping you from falling out of bed.
Some people buy a bed rail in order to help them get into their bed or to hop out of their bed easier lowering the risk of falling. Bed rails can be a great thing to use to help support your body as when they are placed in areas like between your mattress and box spring, these types of units are capable of holding up a lot of weight.
There are different mechanisms used in bed rail designs in order to allow a person to be able to get out of bed with ease. Here is a quick list of some of the common best bed rail designs to give you an idea of what you might find:
- Swing Down, Bed Rail-
A bed rail that has a swing down design is one of the most sought after types of designs. This design will allow you to swing the bed rail down and out of the way as it will be sitting parallel to your mattress and box spring, making it very easy to get out of bed.
- Swing Out, Bed Rail-
Much like the swing down design, except this design swings straight out from your mattress and results in a wide open area on your bed allowing you to be able to get out without worrying about hitting your shin or knees off of anything when you are getting off.
- Tuck-away Bed Rail-
This type of design allows the bed rail to tuck away underneath the mattress and above the box spring when the unit is not in use. This is a great design for people who want to save space and for those who are looking for something quick to use and easy to store.
How big of a bed rail do I need for my bed?
Depending on how tall you are as well as how large of a bed you have, you may want to look for a bed rail that is large enough in order to suit your needs.
There are bed rails that are designed to be a universal fit for all sorts of different bed sizes, but you will also come across plenty of bed rails that are meant to be used only on certain sizes of beds.
Depending on if your bed is on a wall or if it is in the middle of the room, you may also want to decide whether you want to purchase two-bed rails so that you have maximum protection or if you want to only purchase one-bed rail.
If you are in doubt that a bed rail is large enough to suit your needs, you should always take measurements to be sure and to give yourself some more peace of mind with your purchase.
1. Regalo Swing Down Bedrail
If you have a twin size or queen size bed and are interested in picking up a bed rail that uses a swing down design, you may be interested to see what this manufacturer has to offer. This is a high-quality bed rail design that is made out of a solid steel construction. The unit is easy to setup and doesn’t require the use of tools in order to do so. This design is a relatively low price and if you want to save some money on a unit, without sacrificing a lot of quality, you should check out what all this product has to offer.
- The unit is a white design, which is capable of working in almost any environment
- The unit is 43 inches long and 20 inches wide so that you can’t miss the unit if you are rolling around in your bed
- The product has a removable mesh wall, which makes this product a little more comfortable to bump into in the middle of the night
- Easy to fold down mechanism on this product makes it easy to get out of bed as soon as you please
- The unit is only available in one size that fits a queen and a twin size bed
- This product’s mesh design may wear out over time if you are always using the unit
- The unit comes on its own and if you want a rail for both sides of your bed, you are going to have to make two separate purchases
This is a really nice swing down design that a lot of people could benefit from using. The design would not be the best if you are just looking for a bed rail to help you get out of bed as it is a swing down design. However, this unit is more than capable of being able to help you stay in your bed while you are sleeping. The unit’s low price tag is quite appealing and if you want to save money on a bed rail and get something that offers quality and comfort, you should make sure that you take a look at this design.
2. Regalo Hide Away Double Sided Bed Rail, White
If your bed is not on a wall and you want to pick up two-bed rails for the price of one, you should make sure you take a look at these bed rails. This unit is extremely easy to setup and does not require the use of tools. The unit is a double sided rail, which is ideal if your bed is not touching a wall and you want to give yourself as much protection as possible. These white bed rails are sturdy and available for a cheap price tag. Make sure that you consider these rails if they are capable of fitting on your bed.
- The unit is 18 inches high, which is ideal if you have a thick mattress
- The product does not require tools to setup and can tuck between the mattress and box spring when it is not in use
- The product can be used as a single bed rail if you decide to move your bed over and onto a wall
- The unit is made out of a steel construction, which is ideal if you want a bed rail that will last you a long time
- The unit makes it super easy for you to be able to change your sheets as it does not block your path
- The unit is of a white design, which makes it look good in almost any environment
- This unit is only capable of working on a bed that is as large as a queen size bed
- The unit is not capable of being able to help you get in and out of bed
As long as you are looking for something that is a two rail design and something that is designed to keep you from rolling out of bed during the night, you are going to like this design. However, if you are looking for something that can help you get in and out of bed, you may want to look elsewhere as this is a tuck-away design. Overall a very nice bed rail set under the right circumstances.
3. Essential Medical Supply Height Adjustable Hand Bed Rail
If you don’t normally fall out of bed during the night and are instead looking for a bed rail to help you get in and out of bed, you should take a look at what this manufacturer offers. This is a really high-quality bed rail that is capable of being able to adjust height-wise according to your needs. This bed rail is extremely easy to install and does wonders for helping you to be able to get up and out of your bed and it can even help you be able to get into bed.
- The unit is designed to be able to fit twin, double, queen size as well as king size beds
- Easy to install as the unit has an extendable bar that slides between the box spring and mattress
- The bed rail is capable of being able to support up to 300 lbs
- The height of the bed rail can be adjusted from 17 to 21 inches according to your needs
- Designed to fit in most large suitcases so that you can take this product wherever you need to go
- The unit is a bit more expensive than some other bed rails on the market
- The product does not keep you from rolling out of bed while you are sleeping
As long as you are looking for a bed rail for the purpose of helping you get in and out of bed, you are going to be pleased with what this unit has to offer. The 300 lb weight limit of the unit is more than capable of being able to assist you in any way that you need. With the ability to be able to easily pack up this product and take it wherever you need to go, you are going to be pleased with this design as long as you can afford the higher price tag that comes with it.
After reading through our article it is our hope that you now feel as though you are better informed about bed rails and that you feel like you would be able to choose a good quality one on the market. Always remember to do a quick background check on the seller/ manufacturer before you purchase as this can really help to ease your mind. We wish you the best of luck in finding the best bed rail and hope that they do the job that they are supposed to.